Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A pregnant pause ...


Well a couple of months have passed since my last post due to a number of circumstances including school holidays, Christmas, four nights in the Whitsundays and a pregnant pause.
That's right, as my belly begins to bulge coming up to 6 months, at least I can flick through the pages of mags such as WHO where, in this current issue there's a shocker of a paparazzi pic of Pink looking chunkified at 6 months compared to her athletic form we're used to.
It's a welcome relief to the ridiculously beautiful pregnant silhouettes of supermodel mums-in-the-making such as Giselle Bundchen and more recently Miranda Kerr.
I can assure you, at the moment I would in no way attract the likes of Orlando Bloom with my waddling to the bathroom several times a night ... sometimes just two minutes apart - it is baby no.3!!
Anyhoo, journalistic wise over the past few months I've been experiencing everything from the strange and entertaining Speedy Reads in writing for That's Life magazine to the heart-wrenching once-in-a-lifetime moments of covering the aftermath of the Queensland floods in Brisbane and the 'ground zero' of the disaster zone where many people died, the little town of Grantham.
It was the first time I've been part of the Prime Minister and Queensland Premier's media convoy and stood withing a sneeze of both leaders whilst thrusting my voice recorder under armpits to get the grab.
It was the last time I ever want to see such devastation and broken hearts again.
I'm proud of the coverage I helped provide for WHO, but by God I was humbled to have sat on the grassy hilltop of Grantham and let the amazing heroes of that terrible flash flood open their wounded hearts to me and recount how they both saw people saved, and saw people die - like the shocking tale told by Jim Wilkin, pictured in my WHO article ABOVE. One look at his strained face, captured by Gold Coast photographer Luke Sorensen after our interview, says it all.
Then came Tropical Cyclone Yasi and I found myself speaking to people in Tully, Cairns and Townsville as they were literally stocking their bathrooms with blankets, torches and mattresses, and filling bathtubs up with spare drinking water for them, their babies and their pets.
Yes it's been an incredible few months that quite frankly tired me to the extent of not even posting a blog due to the meagre meaning of it in the face of what so many thousands of Australian have been facing.
But for the lucky ones life goes on, as shall this blog, and with a kick to the right of my belly-button, I bid you goodnight until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment