Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chile miners rock!


So will you be reading volumes 1 to 33 of the Chilean mine rescue after the longest underground entrapment in history?
I must admit I'm really digging all the news coverage - pardon the pun - it's been gold - oops again - but with so much media saturation surely it takes the whiz bang out of waiting for a book, or 33?
Then again, I couldn't get enough of watching and listening to the two Tasmanian miners (Todd Russell and Brant Webb) crying as they witnessed the Chilean rescue live - and their incredible Down Under tale took place four-and-a-half years ago.
They will always be way cool.
Then again, maybe I'm just making up for my regret of falling asleep in front of the TV just 15 minutes before they finally reached the surface back on May 9, 2006, at Beaconsfield mine.
I mean, you think they could have made it a little later than 4.47am people!!
Anyway, I love a good global-unity story like this Chile miners rescue. Anything that brings people out of their home comfort zone and empathise with people on the other side of the world must be good for the evolution of mankind ... and book sales perhaps?

(And what's all this got to do with former Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins in a bikini, you may ask? Nothing, it's just a pretty cover for this issue of Bmag containing a story I did with restaurateur and steak expert John Kilroy, as the final of a series of articles this year on candidates in the running for the inaugural Bmag Brisbane Person of the Year awards. CLICK HERE and view pages 14 and 15.

Wow, this very minute on Sky News the last man (rescuer) is just jumping out of the rescue capsule from the mine collapse.
And the president asks him 'did you make the beds before you left?' and he replies, 'I think I forgot to turn off the lights'.
Ha ha - that's a good one.
Go Chile!!!!! Love it.
And who wouldn't share his thoughts on that 20 minute trip through solid rock to fresh air ... 'I hope this never happens again.'

No comments:

Post a Comment